Portsmouth Guildhall has stood proudly at the heart of Portsmouth since 1881 and we are now embarking on an ambitious programme of Renaissance to ensure that the venue continues to thrive for the next 130 years, supporting our vision to become one of the country’s leading cultural organisations inspiring, entertaining and transforming lives.
You, our customers, our community are repeatedly telling us:
- You want more comfortable seats with more leg room
- You want air conditioning
- You want better bar and catering facilities
- You want better toilet facilities
- You want the best acts to come to Portsmouth
- You want a venue the city can be proud of
We want this too and it is our vision to become a leading cultural organisation placing our community at the centre of everything we do, to inspire, entertain and transform lives. We want to provide a rich programme of opportunities and experiences and help create magical memories.
It is Time to Make it Happen…
We want a venue that serves our community, gives our customers the best possible experience, is attractive to performers and their management and provides the best facilities for our corporate clients so we can become fully sustainable as one of the best event and cultural venues in the UK.
Our full Renaissance programme of restoration and renovation will be completed in several phases over the coming years.
Project 1 – Improve customer facilities and create dynamic social spaces:
- We will create new bar facilities
- We will renovate our toilets
- We will improve ground floor access by widening our foyers
- We will renovate the tired interior of our heritage building
- We will develop exhibition and gallery spaces
- We will improve the usability of the first floor space
- We will build a stunning side extension that will offer exciting new restaurant, bar and café facilities in a major asset for Guildhall Square.
Project 2 – Improve the Concert Hall and Backstage areas:
- We will provide better seating with more leg room and an air cooling system
- We will improve the flexibility of the Concert Hall so the space can be used more effectively
- We will modernise the technical and backstage areas
Your support matters. It tells potential funders and sponsors just what the Guildhall means to you, what it means to the city of Portsmouth, and how you want to see the Guildhall thrive for future generations. It shows that together we want this to be our Time to Make it Happen.
Our ambitions for the Guildhall rely on the generosity of the public, businesses, trusts and foundations who share our vision and commitment in this exciting project to secure the future and create a Guildhall of which we can all enjoy and be proud.