Bookfest 2012 host authors such as-
Britain's number one chiller writer, author of The Rats and The Fog, James Herbert, x-SAS soldier and bestselling author of Bravo Two Zero Andy McNab, creator of The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, Deborah Moggach, debut novelist Tanya Byrne, and reading group favourite Kate Mosse.
"I’m looking forward to appearing at Portsmouth’s bookfest, and meeting people passionate about reading. If you’ve never been to a book event before, give it a try – it should be an entertaining evening." James Herbert
Other highlights include:
- A night of girly banter, book talk and pampering with Adele Parks, Emily Barr, Emylia Hall and Morgan McCarthy
- Athletics-themed event, the day before the Great South Run, featuring Ironman to Common Man author Andy Holgate, Running with the Kenyans writer Adharanand Finn and debut novelist Helen Summer with Running Crazy
- Kids stand-up comedy workshop with Edinburgh Fringe favourite Catie Wilkins
- Sell-out sign language poet Donna Williams performs with Portsmouth’s poet laureates
- Crime fact meets crime fiction when RJ Ellory, Ann Cleeves (ITV's Vera) and Pauline Rowson team up with real -life forensic police experts in CSI Portsmouth
- The dark side of Dickens and Doyle, a Halloween special at the Square Tower - not suitable for children, explores the spookier side of Portsmouth's famous residents (includes Conan-Doyle's collection of 'supernatural' photographs)
Claire Forsyth Portsmouth, Portsmouth City Council Bookfest organiser said: "We're so pleased at the range and calibre of authors appearing at Bookfest. What better way to enthuse people about reading than meeting the people who create the stories."
"We try to use unique locations to present authors and get a real interesting mix. Portsmouth is the birthplace for two of the country's most famous literary giants, Charles Dickens and Arthur Conan-Doyle's character Sherlock Holmes, so it seems fitting for Portsmouth to stage the future's favourite writers."
Tickets go on sale from 24 September and can be bought from any Portsmouth library branch or Hayling Island Bookshop. For more information visit www.portsmouthbookfest.co.uk or call 023 9268 8037.